After 32 years (1982-2014), the Association of Professional Communication Consultants (APCC) has made the hard decision to close its operations and will no longer accept members. The association relied on an active cadre of volunteers to develop its programs and benefits. But today’s multiple media platforms and the expense in hours and dollars required for a viable association make continuing as a low-cost volunteer association difficult to sustain.
Some APCC benefits will remain as a free site for consultants:
- The website, www.consultingsuccess.org, will remain open to the public with guidance for consultants, including resources previously reserved for dues-paying members, such as the Code of Ethics, articles, links to online communication resources and teleseminars.
- Plans are underway for an annual Consulting Success award that will honor the impact an effective communication consultant has on the corporate, government, and nonprofit worlds. The award may be presented in one of three categories:
- Excellence in Writing — For outstanding writing or revision of a professional document for a client.
- Excellence in Training — For conducting outstanding communication training in the workplace.
- Excellence in Electronic Media — For a superior electronic communication project characterized by outstanding writing, appealing graphics and/or video, and ease of use.
The winner will receive a check for $1,500. The winner must be a full-time consultant or show evidence of significant part-time consulting. For further details, see the award description and the nomination form when they are posted. Watch for our announcement of details about submitting an entry.
APCC has been synonymous with collaboration and generosity among its members. Many people credit APCC with successfully guiding their consulting practice and creating a “virtual community of consultants” that provided the shared wisdom and encouragement all small business owners need. We celebrate these accomplishments and thank everyone who has contributed.